ASIAN PACIFIC-ISLANDER FACULTY AND STAFF ASSOCIATION
California Polytechnic State University
San Luis Obispo
Article I. Purpose
Section A. The purpose of this organization shall be to:
1. Establish and facilitate communication amongst Cal Poly Asian Pacific-Islander faculty, staff and students, members of the Central Coast community, and all other interested persons within the university, state and nation.
2. Instigate action for the better understanding and teaching of Asian Pacific-Islander faculty, staff and/or students.
3. Promote the leadership, education and opportunities for Asian Pacific-Islanders through programming, events and/or community action.
4. Provide services to California Polytechnic State University and the Central Coast community.
5. Gain a broad professional awareness and contribute to the resolution of problems in education.
Article II. Definition
1. “Asian Pacific-Islander” shall be defined as anyone of Asian or Pacific-Islander descent.
2. “Interested Persons” shall be defined as any person without regard to race, color, age, disability, national origin, religion, gender or sexual orientation.
Article III. Name and Affiliation
Section A. The name of this organization shall be Cal Poly Asian Pacific-Islander Faculty and Staff Association, hereinafter referred to as “APIFSA.”
Section B. The APIFSA was recognized as an organization by the President of California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo on December 17, 2010, subject to all the privileges and obligations set forth by the President of California Polytechnic State University and the State of California.
Section C. It is the intent of this organization to uphold and abide by pertinent State and University laws and regulations.
Article IV. Membership
Section A. All faculty, staff, administrators, students, and alumni of California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, and community partners are eligible to join the APIFSA.
Section B. Participation in events and programming constitutes active membership. Dues are not required for membership.
Section C. Only active members may participate in decisions affecting the goals of the organization, be elected to office, vote, debate, or represent the organization.
Section D. There shall be no membership discrimination on the basis of race, sex, religion, national origin, or sexual orientation. The APIFSA reserves the right to eject any member who does not co-exist with professionalism, goals, and standards of the association.
Section E. This organization or any of its members shall not intentionally conspire to commit any act which causes or is likely to cause bodily danger, or physical or emotional harm to anyone.
Article V. Officers
Section A. The APIFSA may elect the following officers: Chair, Vice-Chair, and Secretary/Treasurer.
Section B. The duties of these officers may be:
a. Shall preside at all APIFSA and Planning Committee meetings.
b. Shall set the vision and future direction for APIFSA.
c. Shall exercise general supervision over the APIFSA organization.
d. Shall work with the Vice-Chair and Secretary/Treasurer in keeping a notebook of duties and procedures performed in the term of office to be a record for the succeeding officer.
e. Shall appoint committees and serve as an ex-officio member of such committees.
2. Vice Chair
a. Shall preside at all APIFSA and Planning Committee meetings in the absence of the Chair.
b. Shall assist the Chair in setting the vision and future direction for APIFSA.
c. Shall work with the Chair and Secretary/Treasurer in keeping a notebook of duties and procedures performed in the term of office to be a record for the succeeding officer.
d. Shall submit a year-end-report to the membership at the end of each academic year.
a. Shall keep records of all APIFSA and special meetings.
b. Shall keep a current list of all the officers and individuals serving on the Planning Committee.
c. Shall keep a current record of decisions.
d. Shall keep a current notebook of duties and procedures performed in the term of office to be a record for the succeeding officer.
e. Shall disburse funds in accordance with strict accounting principles and provisions and according to the budget as approved by the APIFSA.
f. Shall keep financial records in accordance with accepted business practices.
g. Shall be in charge of all funds dispersed and/or raised through activities of the APIFSA.
Section C. Voting
1. All active members shall be able to vote.
2. The APIFSA’s decisions shall require a majority vote or quorum unless otherwise specified in the bylaws.
Section D. Elections
1. Candidates for office shall be active members in the APIFSA.
2. The new officers shall be elected from active membership at the end of each academic year.
3. Vacancies in offices shall be filled in the following manner:
a. The Vice President will serve as President until an election can be held and all officers and members shall be eligible to run for President.
b. All other vacancies shall be filled by an election at the meeting following the vacancy.
4. Officers may be recalled by a ¾ majority vote of APIFSA’s active membership.
Section E. Term of Office
1. Term of office shall be one year.
2. Officers may be re-elected.
Article VI. The Planning Committee
Section A. The Planning Committee
1. Shall be composed of the officers and other volunteer participants, responsible for planning annual educational workshops, professional development activities, social events and/or other related programming.
2. Shall have the authority to carry out the provisions of these bylaws and to expend funds provided for in the APIFSA corporation account.
Article VII. APIFSA Meetings
Section A. The APIFSA Planning Committee meetings shall be held at least once a quarter.
Section B. The first meeting of the year must be held within one month after the beginning of the Fall Quarter.
Article VIII. Quorum
Section A. One fourth (1/4) of the active members shall constitute a quorum.
Article IX. Amendments
Section A. Amendments shall be made with a majority vote of the Planning Committee.
Bylaws Updated: 1/4/2012